The goal of Combat2Careers is to honor those who have served and sacrificed, by assisting student veterans to enter and sustain employment and increase financial independence. Additionally, this project will enable student veterans to strengthen their identity, pride, growth, and a sense of well-being. Working with SUNY-Oswego and East Central College, YTI will enhance the foundation for embedding new methods in serving student veterans with disabilities and fostering work-based learning, mentoring, and career opportunities.
• Demonstrate how the integration of Discovery and Career Pathways helps veteran students with disabilities choose and obtain jobs in their occupational preferences.
• Develop employment methods specifically tailored to the needs of female veterans with disabilities overcome academic and employment challenges for career success.
• Validate methods for developing employer partnerships to provide input into credential and career curricula, apprenticeships, and for hiring veteran students with disabilities.
• Support participants in overcoming their disability-related barriers to employment by integrating veteran-specific academic, employment and personal supportive services.
• Leverage external resources from Vocational Rehabilitation, Department of Labor, VA and other partners to support veteran students’ employment.
• Assist 100-125 male and female veterans with disabilities across the two colleges to obtain part- or full-time employment over the two-year project.
• Develop data methods that validate program success by tracking pre- and post-graduation job attainment and retention through 90 days after project exit.
• Disseminate materials and provide training to other colleges and universities in MO and NY for future replication.